Hi, my name is Jonathan McLinn. I am looking to actively participate in developing challenging technical solutions in an engaging team environment. I want to develop my skills through good communication and a willingness to learn.
I developed hardware and software tools for industry and research. My test procedure development and data collection & analysis have come in many forms including optical surface map error, optical heat transfer, vibration ring-down, and material property replication. This site is a collection of my background and interests. Please contact me at email@example.com to speak further about my interests and experiences.
Programming & Web Design
OPTICAL POLISHING SIMULATOR
Inspired from my time in optical manufacturing R&D, I programmed a simulation alagorithm for modeling an ideal polishing system.
- Flexible rules for cuztomization to specific polishing methods
- Allows for output of final material removal map or video of material removal process
- Could be used to determine polish error or optimize CNC polishing processes
During my time in graduate school I worked for Professor Hussein Aluie of the Turbulence and Complex Flow Group at the University of Rochester as a research assistant. With the immense amount of oceanographic data that needed to be analyzed for his research, I was in charge of developing a platform to help better visualize his data.
- Built Python library with command line interface to map oceanographic data to researcher's specific needs
- Improved on timing and customization options from existing libraries of Basemap and Matplotlib
- Completed mapping capabilities of 2D and 3D representations, along with batch results for movie/video creation
In an attempt to teach myself web design and backend programming, I began developing a web application to connect local music scenes in a more cohesive platform than currently exists. I learned a great deal discussing unmet needs with people directly involved in the growing music scene in Oklahoma City, OK, and I'm currently working alongside another developer on a comprehensive rebuild.
- Created Flask back-end and front-end design of dynamic web app for live music information and interaction
- Collaborated with local music venue owners, musicians, and music festival management to guide development
WEB DESIGN PROJECTS
I've developed multiple sites for both friends, clients, and my own projects. Many of these sites have been built on either completely custom made, or otherwise easy to use, CMS systems for easy updates and site maintenance.
I worked as an R&D/Metrology Intern for the optics manufacturing company Optimax Systems, Inc. I was primarily in charge of two projects, directed by the lead optical engineer (now head of R&D). I also completed other short-term projects, including field testing a new spectrometer and several quality department tasks.
Advanced Calibration System
- Compared performance vs. timing tradeoffs between currently used and new high accuracy calibration method
- Devised implementation method, programming necessary script procedures for data collection and system usage
- Coordinated with quality technicians for use of testing hardware within a live manufacturing facility
Manufacturing Hardware Design
- Translated prior research results into design of hardware that could be seamlessly integrated into existing system
- Used machine shop to fabricate and construct device. Developed with longevity in mind, despite prototype status
- Tested multiple material criteria, proving benefit across product range. Presented results to top management
UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER
BS Mechanical Engineering
May 2012 - with Distinction
Mechanical Design, Fluid Dynamics, Thermodynamics, Heat and Power, Statics, Dynamics, Design of Bridges, Vibrations, Material Science, Circuits, Computational Methods
Head Teaching Assistant & Course Redesign
Engineering of Bridges
- Led a team of assistants for three years in the daily operation of a college course: workshops, labs, and grading
- Helped implement integration of new bridge modeling capabilities, directing purchasing and project development
Liquid Damping Test & Analysis
Laboratory for Laser Energetics, UR
- Determined primary factors controlling potency of liquid damping on cryogenic fusion targets to reduce vibrations
- Created room temperature models to explore range of damping factors and test procedures for data collection
- Analyzed ring down characteristics, evaluating how results could be applied to scale within cryogenic chamber
Roman Concrete Property Synthesis
- Created concrete equivalent with ancient Roman concrete's material properties with fraction of curing time
- Mixed, cured, and three-point-bend tested varying samples of differing aggregate mixtures and curing times
- Testing structured to narrow results, ending in final concrete mixture to be used for scale model FEA analysis
Bridge Design - FEA, Fabrication, and Comparison
- Bridge design competition with material/setup constraints, using NASTRAN/PATRAN to complete FEA analysis
- Theoretical design compared to model construction, noting potential constraint and weight (glue, etc.) alterations
- Received creative design award for utilizing material tensile advantages for highest constructed strength to weight
Optical Glass Convection Research
Optimax Systems Inc.
- Completed wind tunnel testing of convection effects on optical glass cooling, to reduce manufacturing time
- Simulated testing of interior temperatures with inventive use of insulation, thermocouple placement, and airflow
- Determined interior temperature profile for glass during cooling, and the efficiency gained from forced airflow
SIMON SCHOOL OF BUSINESS ( UR )
MS Technical Entrepreneurship and Management
Dynamic Language Software Development, A.I. Logic, Database Systems
Market Fit and Development Analysis of New Technology
- Consulted with inventor of new audio enhancement technology to assess the best market fit and growth potential
- Constructed a development plan, taking into account related technologies and markets, and presented proposal
Pre-Seed Workshop (High Tech Rochester incubator)
- Assisted pre-funding software analytics startup, analyzing how they could find the best fit in the existing market
- Learned from seasoned investors about various strategies they've used when building new ventures
Business Plan Creation & Competition
- Developed business plan for social web app, designed to take advantage of beverage advertising misalignments
- Competed in a regional business plan competition, coached throughout by a tech commercialization specialist
Medical Device Product Development Plan
- Designed a scale system to expedite patient measurements, based on discussions with medical professionals
- Completed development plan, maintaining competitive costs and complying to federal regulations
Market Disruption Strategy Analysis of Amazon.com
- Researched Amazon's initial competitive atmosphere, exploring the weaknesses guiding their disruption strategy
- Analyzed how Amazon altered the 'quality' scale of retail, and fended off market entry with their fulfillment centers
Cello & Orchestra
Since the 4th grade I have played the cello in various school and honors orchestras, most notably the Oklahoma All-State Orchestra, OSAI Summer Orchestra, and the University of Rochester Symphony Orchestra. I've studied privately with instructors from Oklahoma City University and Eastman School of Music.
I've also played in many small ensemble gigs, most of which as part of a cello and jazz guitar duo.
I've always enjoyed drawing and painting. Here are some works from my highschool years at Classen SAS, where I majored in Visual Art.